2017-2018 8A District 8 Preview
8A District 8 Preview
Sickles and Wharton will not be the only teams dominating this district this season. With some major coaching moves and player movement, we will have an exciting finish. Gaither, a team on the rise last year to some lumps in the off season and hope to bounce back from the loss of players. Watching Wiregrass Ranch in pre season scrimmage, they have a few pieces that can make them competitive. Plant will have a strong backcourt and a new Coach in Joe Willis. Freedom is trying to get back to there stellar self’s after a 9-12 season under Coach Cedric Smith. Coach JR Allen and Steinbrenner have been on the right path these past couple of years after developing those young players. Leto went 2-23 overall and 0-14 in Districts have to get some things done.
Teams: Sickles Wharton Freedom Steinbrenner Wiregrass Ranch Gaither Leto Plant
Pre Season Predictions:
- Wiregrass Ranch
- New Coach Micheal Weaving and Gryphon’s set forth for a intriguing season. The lose of top PG Marcus Cohen (Mercer University) and SG Bryce Beamer (Hargrave Military Academy) will make a big difference in there style of play. Losing 2019 F Chase Bars to Berkeley Prep will force 2018 6’8″ PF Bryce Workman and 2018 6’6″ F Denari Garrett to be the go to players this season..
- Coach Tommy Tonelli’s stern coaching techniques will be pushed this season. Will he change his style of play? Will the lose of Isaiah Thomas and Tra Gildon hurt? With 2019 SG Darin Green coming off a great recruiting summer with CP25 travel team and the help of back-court mate 2018 DJ Henderson, were expecting big things from these guys. You may see a different pace then we’re us too seeing from the Wildcats but i think it will help them win this district. Watch for 2020 Carr Thiam and 2020 Gio Reyes.
- Cedric Smith Patriot’s will depend on key returners, 2018 6’8″ F Alek Rojas , 2019 G Nick Butler and 6’4″ 2018 F Gerald Fleming. Based on last years stats, they had trouble scoring which will be an issue against Wharton or Sickles.
- Coach JR Allen is doing a good job maintaining average seasons with a young team. Lets see if they can make a statement this year. Watch for 2019 Angelo Sardegna, and 2018 Zach Johnson
Wiregrass Ranch –
- Has we said last season, Coach Jeremy Calzone team has gained a lot of experience. Only losing G Devin Wilson, you will see players like 2019 PG Elijah Howell, 2018 G Jordan Minor, 2018 6’9″ Jayden Watson and 6’6″ 2018 Justin Rush pick up the slack. This is a team has a very scrappy bench and will win some games. Don’t sleep!
- Loss a lot of players and will be rebuilding. Mario Lovett and James Pursley (Keystone Prep) are the most notable.
- Leto needs to find that someone to step up. Going 2-23 overall and 0-14 in districts, the only direction they can go is up.
- This can be the year the Panthers will make changes. With Coach Joe Willis coming on board, you will definitly see a big difference. Coach Willis will bring a steady system to help 2018 G Dylan Wilson and Ronald Boyd. Who will be the other’s to step up? Plant is another team to watch for.