5A District 9 Preview
With new faces and lost players, this district will be interesting. Tampa Catholic had the biggest player personnel lost for the district. There will be a 3 team dog fight between TC, Berkeley Prep and Brooks DeBartolo. Interior size is a huge factor for Brooks DeBartolo, chemistry and a style of play will dictate Berkeley Prep and experience will be key for TC. Clearwater Central Catholic and Cardinal Mooney will stay in the hunt. Lots of unknowns for Cypress Creek and Sarasota Military Academy.
Pre Season Predictions:
- Berkeley Prep
- Tampa Catholic
- Brooks DeBartolo
- Clearwater Central Catholic
- Cardinal Mooney
- Cypress Creek
- Sarasota Military Academy
Returning and Impact Players to watch:
- TC has been the top dogs in this district for some time now. Now that the Kentucky Wildcats has grabbed top 5 star SF Kevin Knox and seeing 2018 PG Tai Strickland transfer, the previous 10-0 district winners have a large task ahead. Coach Don Dziagwa will depend on upper classmen 2018 SG Messiah Turner and Tim Carter plus a slew of young players in Kobe Knox, Austin White, Isaiah Elmore, Alijah Harrison.
Brooks DeBartolo Colligiate:
- Coach Lavel Dumont’s will lean on his impact players which consist of 2018 Brandon Hale, 2018 Michael Hyacinth and transfer Isaiah Thomas from Wharton. Unfortunately, with the lost of 2019 Liron Thomas to Colombia HS(GA), Hale and Thomas have to produce to make this team run. Size will play a factor when against Berkeley Prep and other teams. The X-factor will be 6’6″ PF/C Lavel Dumont.
- The Buccaneers has a few guys to watch for in 2018 Myles Hyatt, 2019 Chase Bars and 2020 Kegan Karnes. Looking for 2018 F Zach Mathis to standout. However, new Coach Renaldo Garcia ( previousley at Sickles) who is one of the best Coaches in the area will put his team to the test every night. Look for them in January at the National Hoopfest.