Top 5 GBB Teams in Hillsborough County Preview
With the 2016-2017 season approaching we look at 5 teams to standout. Look for some common names and a few new standouts to show what they got.
- Seffner Christian – went 28-4 overall and 8-0 last season. This team is poised to make another incredible run at States this year. Vanderbilt commit Chelsie Hall (21.2 ppg/5.1 rpg/5.2 apg) leads the way and added transfer Audra Leipold will give the Crusaders the extra push needed. Very anticipated to watch that high powered back-court, because that may be one the best duo’s in the State! Dont forget their sharp shooter Brylee Bartram who will get plenty of good looks from beyond the arc just because she has the help of those penetrating guards. Coach Joe Cooper has a solid list of flourishing players in 2018 Nyleria Reed, 2017 Avree Carpenter and 2017 Hope Hunter.
- Tampa Bay Tech – This is a very strong team and will give Crest a good run for the money. Coming off a 14-14 overall record and 7-5 in there Districts, there looking to be better. TBT is returning all of there key players and with some young key additions to the roster, look to watch TBT make some big waves. Active 2019 PG Shannon Lise is up and coming plus Coach Reggie Lawrence will keep pushing this team. The future is at Tech!
- Tampa Catholic -TC is LOADED this year, finishing a year ago 17-13 overall and 9-3 in District play. We already know about 2017 Alise Davis (15 ppg/12.2 rpg) and 2017 Mia Blocker (18.9 ppg/5.9 rpg/ 6 apg/4.7 spg) on the roster, now you will have to contend with transfers Tanyia Gordon and Ashley Sieper. Blocker coming of injury will have to come in like she never left. Davis and Sieper will be the twin towers and we will look for Coach Mathew Rocha’s squad to be in Lakeland this season.
- Strawberry Crest – This team is expected to win another district championship this season. Going 24-1 overall and 13-0 in Districts last season will lean on their two tough and grind it out twins 2017 Brianna Mathews (15.2 ppg/5.2 rpg/4.5 spg) and 2017 Ayanna Mathews (14.1 ppg and 7.6 rpg). The chargers made a few additions to the back-court this off season plus will look for that young developed roster to produce. This team will go as far has the twins will take them, so look for a big year from those two. Coach La’Tosha Lewis will continue to play her team hard and press the issue defensively.
- Brandon – The Eagles are looking for a district title this season. After a averge season of 12-12 overall plus 7-3 in district play, we look for Coach Virgil Johnson to have that team ready. Lead by a do everything guard in 2019 Jalyn Spurlin, we will watch the Eagles dominate there district.
Pre- Season Tournament to watch: Lakewood Girl’s Basketball Pre-Season Classic, Nov. 8-10th 2016 (Seffner Christian, Tampa Catholic, Strawberry Crest, Lakewood, Winter Haven and lakewood Ranch)
*Stats provided by Maxpreps